Sunday, December 11, 2011

Four Races in Five Weeks

You know how to train? Race 4 times in 5 weeks. It will do it. Coming off the Soweto Marathon and the triathlon, I rolled into the Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge. Last year I was hurting for the ride. This year, we were better off. Because I was seeded, I started at 7:03 in the morning, hours earlier than last year. Plus, it was cooler and overcast. Whereas last year I struggled up every hill, bonked hard, and cramped over and over. This year, I cruised in my group, moved to the front by halfway, and blasted up the long hills that killed me last year. When I hit the highway, I rode in a large peloton doing no damage to my legs. I stopped near the end of the road to pee and get drinks. So from 20k out, I rode alone trying to hammer back to where I was. I caught rider after rider and sprinted to the finish. I finished 8th in my wave of 500, and in under 3 hours for the 61 mile effort. I was very pleased…the perfect ride.

With three races in three weeks done, it was fitting that Thanksgiving was a week off. A few rides and a couple of hour-long runs and I can’t say I rested. So why not come out for another race? The BSG Energade Sprint Triathlon was a good place to start. The swim was only 600m but it was in a river with a current. While I can’t say I tore it up, something happened that rarely does for me in the swim; I passed people! Of course, I was in the 30-50 age group. My transition to the bike was quick.

On the first few hundred yards of the ride, I sailed past people. Then a couple of guys came up and we packed up. It was a draft legal race, which means we could ride close together to reduce the wind. We took turns pulling at the front, with me directing the pacing. A group of 4 of us dropped rider after rider. I hopped off the bike with another fast transition.

My run was flawless. I scooped up runner after runner, 32 in all over the 5K course. No one passed me. I logged the 11th fastest run but I question my split (I had 50 seconds faster on my watch, would have put me as the 5th or so fastest). I was 22nd overall, not including the elites. It was great practice for transitions and open water. 1:06:55.

I threw in another 2K time trial in the pool and banked a 36:34, my fastest yet. That equates to about a 1:09:30 Ironman swim, so I am happy with that. With drafting, a wetsuit, and no turns to make, I am hoping this is an indicator of getting closer to my goal.

I am off to Tanzania to climb Kilimanjaro, go on safari, and hit the beaches of Zanzibar. Training will take a hit – will be non-existent – for two weeks, but when I come back it is great training and diet for the month of January. Plus, a little surprise thrown into the mix.

Training from Aug 1-Dec 11


Distance
Cumulative Distance
Time
Cumulative Time
Swim
4000m
43900m
1:35:00
19:44:57
Bike
60.6mi
848.8mi
3:31:13
49:23:24
Run
25.7mi
380.4mi
3:35:25
52:46:37
Core
N/A
N/A
1:00:00
12:15:00
Lift
N/A
N/A
0
5:45:00

No comments:

Post a Comment