Sunday, April 17, 2011

Fool In the Rain


There are some great stories where someone finishes a race with a broken bone. Well now I have mine but it isn’t going to be that cool.

One week out from Two Oceans, I ran the Slow Mag Marathon. But the Friday of, I broke my finger in the staff/student volleyball game. Google “Mallet Finger” for a taste of the pain.


Winter came early with gray skies, cold rain, and lower moods. The race was one of my best in the sense that it was a solid negative split with a relatively easy effort. I had planned to run about 8/min miles (goal pace for Comrades) at this race and at Two Oceans. However, from the gun, it was too hard to run that slow and I just locked in to something faster yet comfortable. I ran with a guy the whole first half and although he slowed toward the end, it was easy, crossing in about 1:38 or so. It was as close to a jog as I have ever “raced.” I then got back on the early pace and continued to catch and pass people for the next 21K. I felt very strong as the cool rain started to pick up and despite the wind, ran a 3:13:38 which felt like nothing. It was only after I realized that Two Oceans was the next Saturday, leaving only 5 recovery days after a quicker marathon effort.

Going in to Two Oceans I am strong, relatively fast, and training through. I am going to look to hit Comrades goal pace for the marathon mark, survive the suicide climb, and bring it in faster if possible. That should set me up for Comrades just dandy.

No comments:

Post a Comment